Welcome to the Goring Conservative Club We are a Private Members Club located in Goring-by-Sea, just outside of Worthing in West Sussex and are affiliated to The A.C.C (Association of Conservative Clubs).
We have a very large function hall which is available for hire for Weddings, Birthday Parties or Corporate Events at extremely competitive prices. The function hall has excellent acoustics which makes it an ideal venue for bands to practice or perform. Please Contact Us or phone us and speak to Gemma on (01903) 503960 for more information.
We have a large members bar area with pool table, jukebox, darts and 2 TV screens (One is a 65" screen). Our snooker room has three superbly maintained full sized snooker tables. The children's pool table area leads through to the garden. A large projector TV is available in the function room along with its own private bar - both bars carry a comprehensive range of ales, lagers, wines, spirits and soft drinks at very competitive prices (probably the lowest bar prices in the area).
A Brief History of our Club.
Goring had grown to such a size by the early 1920’s that the Conservatives in the village decided that a Political Club was a necessity. The Club was opened in 1927 when the Conservatives were proud to be the first local party to provide a home for their activities. The formation of the Club in 1927 was made possibly by the generosity of two people. Mr. C. E. Green, Senior, who lived in the village nearly all his working life had long been desirous of seeing a Conservative Club in the district, and during the winter of 1926-27 he called the Committee of the Conservative Association together, and made known to them his generous intention to present a piece of land sufficient to build a commodious Club with Bar, Billiards Room, Dance Hall with Kitchen and Cloakrooms on the ground floor, and Caretaker’s Rooms above. Mr Green further agreed to advance all the money required for building and equipment at a moderate rate of interest, allowing the Club to repay as funds permitted.
In the spring of 1927 a contract was entered into with Mr. G. W. Benn of Worthing for the erection of Club and Hall, the total cost of which was £3,526. Of this sum £1,978 representing the cost of the Hall and proportion of Architect’s fee was defrayed by Mrs Molson, leaving £1,541 as the Club’s share.
The Builder made rapid progress and in June 1927, two stones were laid privately in front of the Building, one by Mr. C. E. Green Senior, the donor of the site, and the other by Colonel E. W. Margesson, C.M.G. On the near completion of the Hall it was decided to invite Mrs Molson and anyone she cared to share the function with her, to lay the two stones at the entrance to the Hall. Mrs Molson kindly consented, and asked her sister Contessa Pignatorre to lay the other Stone. This event took place in July 1927 when Mrs Molson made a charming speech explaining her great interest and wishing it success. There was a large attendance, and satisfaction was generally expressed at the appearance and arrangement of the Building.
The formal opening took place on October 22nd 1927, when our Member, Major J. S. Courtauld, M.C, kindly performed this function. The Hall was nearly full, many attending from Bognor, Littlehampton, Brighton and Worthing as well as most of our local Conservatives.
The Committee accepted Mr Green’s kind offer and asked Mr. H. M. Potter, an Architect, to prepare the plans. While these preliminaries were proceeding, Mrs. Molson who until 1926 had resided at Goring Hall, heard what was proposed, and most generously felt that she could perpetuate the memory of her husband, the late Major Molson, by defraying the cost of the Dance Hall, and having it named the “John Molson Hall”. The late Major Molson had been a staunch Conservative and a generous supporter of the cause in Goring, holding the office of Chairman of the Association until his death and it is probable, therefore, that Mrs Molson could not have chosen a more fitting way of perpetuating his memory.
Unfortunately in June 2012, the Club fell into financial difficulty. A working party looked at ways to make the Club more viable, and the members approved these along with a new committee. The new committee secured finance with plans to make every effort in ensuring all the facilities the Club has to offer are used to their full potential. To date, these plans are proving very effective. The Club is now back on a stable footing and we are looking forward to being around for a long long time.